Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Inspiration from Yoga - Day 9 - Core & Breathwork

Tonight's work was on core and breathwork. Oh how I love my core work! Particularly after cooking a generous sized portion of breakfast-for-dinner!

One thing that really clarified in my mind in tonight's practice was the link between breathing and movement. This is a subject which has occupied my mind as a martial artist for years. Depending on which school I was attending at the time, their theories on how to breathe while doing movements during forms would vary widely. Whether having audible breath per movement, as I was originally trained (and frankly prefer), or the silent ninja forms with no breathing sounds being preferred has varied. I have practiced both styles, but whether audibly breathing or not, I have always been intently focused on the breath accompanying each movement.

Yoga is very much the same for me. The patterns of inhalation and exhalation following the movements are omnipresent, but rarely so noticeably to me as during core work, when each muscle of your upper and lower abdomen, obliques, low back and even through the legs and chest are working together. Balancing in Boat Pose, every breath can alter your body's balance, each subtle shift works to counteract the balance in this pose. By focusing on, controlling and bringing awareness to my breath, I can enhance and supplement my yoga practice. The three aspects are intertwined - breathing, balance and movement, working together in harmony.

Additionally, I discovered a wonderful plank-sequence exercise tonight which I am excited to introduce the next time I may have the opportunity to lead black belt class warmups (after previously introducing them to the 100/100 crunches & plankers exercise, I'm quite sure they'll love this one!)

The three-part plank sequence works all levels of your core - deep, superficial and obliques, as well as arms/shoulders and back strength. From a high plank position, extend the right leg up and away from the body, flexing through the foot and extending the heel as the furthest point away from you. On the inhale, bring the knee in to the chest, lifting and rounding the back, and if your neck permits, dropping the head, engaging the core and curling the upper body to maximize the lift of the right leg from the floor. Exhale and extend the right leg back out (without letting it touch the ground) heel stretching far and away. On the next inhale, bring knee up to outer right tricep, like a cat burgler, with inner knee facing down to the floor. Exhale and without putting leg down, extend back out through the heel. Finally on the last inhale (hang in there!) bring the right knee across the body, really engaging the core and twisting using those oblique muscles to bring to the opposite left side elbow, leg crossed under the body and the outer knee facing down to the floor. Be mindful not to twist the shoulders, but instead to use the core strength to lift and pull that knee across. Exhale out one last time really extending outwards through the heel and lower to place it on the mat beside the left foot in high plank. Inhale, then exhale and push back into Down Dog for several breaths, then repeat the sequence on the left side.

Pretty awesome, right? And difficult! To have the strength and control to keep the leg elevated throughout the postures is amazing. And also, it makes for a challenging 20 minute workout! I originally didn't feel 20 minutes would be long enough, but sweating and happily lying in Savasana Pose, feeling every muscle in my core having been engaged, I was pleasantly surprised, and secretly grateful the practice wasn't longer. However, feeling I still had a little more in me, I followed it with a a short introduction to and practice of Alternate Nostril Breathing, (as mentioned in a prior post). And once again I find myself happily and contentedly completing my practice for the 21-Day Yoga Challenge!

And a quote I found today: Inhale the future, exhale the past. ♥

Happy sigh!

For further information on Alternate Nostril Breathing, please check out:
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2487

No comments:

Post a Comment