Monday, October 22, 2012

Inspiration from Yoga, Day 7 - Namaste

Namaste - We say it in almost every yoga class, but what does this strange word mean? 

Courtesy Wikipedia, here are some answers.
"Namaste is one of a small list of Sanskrit words commonly recognized by Non-Hindi speakers.
Namaskār (Devnagari/Hindi: नमस्कार) literally means "I bow to [your] form".
"I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me." -- attributed to but not claimed by author Deepak Chopra
"I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."
"That which is of God in me greets that which is of God in you."
"The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you."

But to me, Namaste is also a gesture of respect, of gratitude and of thankfulness to the Universe, a moment to find that true heart within and expand it out into the world. Namaste is performed with palms pressed together, either in front of the heart chakra, and in deep respect, placed at the forehead and brought down to the heart. The eyes are closed and a bow is done simultaneously. All life is connect & we respect & cherish it! 
"I meditate, I do yoga and I have a lot of friends who are healers.....And if none of that works, I go buy a chocolate bar and a bottle of cognac."
— Susan Strasberg
Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment